Our Friend the Holy Spirit
A person who doesn't have the Holy Spirit is not a Christian. Romans 8:9
Unless you are born of the Spirit you will not see the kingdom of God. John 3:5
The person who sins against the Spirit is lost. Luke 12:10
I. What / who is the Holy Spirit?
1. The Holy Spirit is God
NAME of Father, Son, Holy Spirit. Matthew 28:19
Lying to Holy Spirit = lying to God. Acts 5:3, 4
(you may fool the people in the church but you won't fool God)
2. The Holy Spirit is personal
Wills. 1 Corinthians 12:11
Strives. Genesis 6:3
Teaches. Nehemiah 9:20; Luke 12:12
Can be grieved. Ephesians 4:30
3. The Holy Spirit carries on the work of Jesus
He is the true representative of Jesus Christ on earth. John 14:26
4. The Holy Spirit convicts of sin, righteousness and judgement John 16:8
Listen to His voice. Heb 3:6-11
5. The Holy Spirit comes at the new birth / baptism
Born again by the Spirit. John 3:5
At baptism. Matthew 3:16 (937) Acts 2:38
Washed clean by the Holy Spirit. Titus 3:5
6. The Holy Spirit lives in us
Holy Spirit in you. John 14:17, 1 Corinthians 6:19
II Fruit of the Holy Spirit
1. Fruit is the evidence of the Holy Spirit
2. By their fruit you shall know them Matthew 7:15
3. All are to have the same fruit Galatians 5, 1 Corinthians 13
4. Contrast the fruit of the Holy Spirit / unholy spirit Galatians 5:19-23
III Gifts of the Holy Spirit
1. List some spiritual gifts?
Romans 12, 1 Corinthians 12, Ephesians 4
2. The purpose of spiritual gifts Ephesians 4:11-16
a) to equip God's people for works of service.
b) build up body of Christ.
c) unity of faith.
d) knowledge of Christ.
e) Christian maturity.
f) growth of body.
3. Who determines who gets what spiritual gifts? Do we all get the same?
1 Corinthians 12:11
4. Like a body. 1 Corinthians 12:12-26
5. How do you know what your spiritual gift is?
IV The Seal of God
Sealed by the Holy Spirit. Ephesians 1:13
For day of redemption. Ephesians 4:30
Holy Spirit is our guarantee. 2 Corinthians 1:21
Strengthened by the Holy Spirit. Ephesians 3:16